Here’s the thing: I have no shame. Or, at least very little.
So when some lovely people asked if I would write a post about Depend (those super-absorbent briefs that are always at the top of my hospital-bag packing list I give to moms-to-be), I knew I had two choices:
- Properly test and review the new Depend Silhouette Active Fit brief, or
- Show you how thin and underwear-like they are under my own clothes.
I went with No. 2.
I’m known to pee a little every time I laugh, cough or jump, so I’m no stranger to panty liners; but if you told me a couple of weeks ago that I could sport full-on Depend briefs under yoga pants, there’s no way I’d have believed that. Because I’m no stranger to Depend either! I always tell people that they were my saving grace for many, many weeks after giving birth. But they were bulky and awkward, and although they did the job, there’s no way I would have thrown on a pair of jeans with them.
Depend Silhouette is like a Slim Jim version. It’s shaped like a full bikini brief and pretty much just feels like you’re sporting a maxi pad. And it comes in two colours: nude and black. I had some fun putting together some everyday holiday looks and seeing if the Active Fit version could be worn for any occasion. I swear on everything I hold dear that I’ve got a pair of Depend Silhouette Active Fit underoos on under each outfit!
Now let me share some important tips about these looks:
An evening at the opera
- If you’re going to the theatre or opera, and you’re not awesome in heels when it comes to several flights of stairs, go for sparkly flats like these little Tory Burch numbers or a pair of sassy ballet flats like my beloved Tieks. (What is it with carpet on stairs, man? Mixed with heels, it’s just a deadly combination that’s better for me to avoid altogether)
- Dress shirts with long skirts are a big YES. I’m pretty sure I stole this look from Sharon Stone in the ’90s — but she was on to something. It looks effortless because it is
The ugly Christmas sweater party
- Just because the invitation suggests your sweater must be ugly, doesn’t mean you have to obey. Keep it cute by nabbing a festive cashmere sweater that fits you like a glove and pairing it with skinny jeans that make you actually feel skinny
- If there will be ample opportunity to sit down, make an entrance with a pair of nude platform heels, which will help make it look like your legs go on for days
- Although I’m normally light on accessories at the best of times, I’d probably totally forego accessories if you’ve got a reindeer on your boobs. That’s enough, really
Lunching with the girls
- If you’re going to sit, eat and gab for hours with your girlfriends, you need the gift of Lycra. Leggings are the perfect choice, and while I don’t subscribe to the idea that you have to be a skinny mini to wear them, I do believe that you should cover the junk in your fine trunk. Sweater, cardigan or tunic — your choice
- Add some edge with a killer studded cuff and sky-high booties, and don’t be afraid of a little leopard now and then
- You’ll want to ensure you’re wearing the correct Depend Silhouette Active Fit brief size before you put on a pair of body-hugging yoga pants. I was surprised that the size that fit me best was the S/M;the L/XL was far too roomy. (I wear a size 10 in most brands, if that helps.) But the good news? When you wear the right size, you can slip on a pair of the tightest yoga pants you own and feel confident knowing they don’t give any more VPL than ordinary underwear
- Select yoga pants that have a slightly higher rise; even though these Depend undies are quite low-rise, they aren’t hip-huggers
If you’re still golden using something like Poise Pads at this point in your life, great. But if you need a bit more protection, it’s safe to say that you no longer have to worry about sacrificing your fierce fashion sense to get it. So let your inner fashionista go crazy.
DISCLAIMER: I was compensated for this post, but the concept for it, styling, clothes, accessories and opinions are forever mine.