I am a sucker for good undergarments. But I have very specific requirements: I don’t like underwire. I hate bra straps that slip off my shoulders. Underwear needs to be muffin top-proof. And bras must absolutely NOT create back fat. So when knixwear (which seems to have rebranded to simply knix) entered my life, I felt a sense of peace.
And it didn’t just stop at bras and undies. Oh, no… I am a full-on knixwear addict day and night now thanks to the brand’s latest foray — loungewear and pyjamas.
knixwear uses awesome fabrics. Bras and underwear feature a moisture-wicking, odour-resistant fabric that moves with your body. They’re really thin and feel like a second skin. The loungewear is made of a fabric called modal; this is a rayon-like material made from beech trees and it’s super-soft like bamboo.
knixwear bras have good support overall, which is one thing I was worried about as someone who isn’t a dainty B-cup.
Both the bras and underwear have SUPERB pack-ability (as featured in my packing video); that is, they fold up into nothing when you’re packing them into a suitcase or overnight bag. No underwire and no seams mean you can even scrunch them into contortions and squeeze them into the most unruly crevices in your luggage. I just shoved four of them into a really tiny bag that zips into my carry-on!
The online fit guide is quite good. You put your band and cup size into a generator and it spits out your knixwear bra size. As a 36DD, my suggested size was a 7 for the Evolution Bra and the fit turned out to be mostly perfect. I am on the cusp of being a size 6 so I tried a padded size 6 for kicks and it’s much too small, so don’t fudge your measurements when ordering and go to the bigger size if you’re on the line between two sizes. The Evolution Bra is an 8-in-1. It’s reversible and can criss-cross at the back or do one-shoulder on either side. It comes with an extra set of straps, too, so no matter which side you use, your straps match.
For the Longevity Bra, you just order by band size. While I normally wear a size medium in “street clothes,” the band size for a 36″ is a large, so I ordered large Longevity Bras and they’re exactly right. A medium would for sure be too small and make me feel like I was wearing a hungry boa constrictor. I *so* love the fit of these, not to mention the strappy design in the back…in fact, they’ve become my daily go-to bra. And when I work out at Orangetheory, I typically put one on over my sports bra to add extra support.
Sizing for the underwear is a bit trickier (see gaffes) and for those who like their loungewear and PJs loose, refer to the size guide and order one size up. I’m a size 8-10, but am shown here in the size large romper:
knixwear’s refund policy is amazing. You have 30 days to try out the bra size you order and if it’s not right, the team will make it right. Even if that includes a full refund. The end.
Now for my favourite styles and general tips:
- The athletic stretch tech underwear fabric has more give than knixwear’s everyday line, which I preferred in all the underwear styles I tried
- The leakproof underwear is frickin’ fantastic! I wish I’d gotten ALL of my underwear from this group. Each pair has a built-in panty liner (washable, obviously) to absorb up to one teaspoon of moisture (about the same as a single tampon). This has been great for light bladder leak protection and as tampon back-up, and I swear to you — they don’t feel any different than the regular knixwear undies
- The Everyday Performance High Rise is, unexpectedly, one of my two favourite pairs. I have never worn high-rise undies in my life but I love the way they look and feel
- The Athletic Thong is my very favourite pair of underwear — probably ever. I’ve had other seamless thongs before and hated them because they roll and move and generally look terrible under clothes as a result. These sit flat and perfect and feel great because they feel like you’re wearing nothing at all
- If you’re a larger-chested woman, you’re not going to be working out in these bras as a rule. But I did feel obligated to try and can assure you that if you’re in a pickle, you can layer a Longevity Bra over top of an Evolution Bra and have a comfortable high-impact workout (which I found pleasantly surprising)
- The Longevity Bra is, hands-down, my go-to everyday bra. In fact, I loved the samples knixwear sent me so much that I bought THREE more during knixwear’s Boxing Day sale! The support is fantastic and I like that they make my boobs look smaller under clothes; the material breathes beautifully; and, as I mentioned, the strap design in the back is cute enough to be shown off
- The knixwear V-neck Evolution Bra is my favourite of the “regular bra” bunch because of the shape of the neckline and its thicker straps, but it does lose out because it’s not reversible, which is a great feature in the regular Evolution Bra
- The next time I order an Evolution Bra, I’m going to get the padded version. I’m usually anti-padding because it makes me look chestier than I am. And even though the padded Evolution Bra I have is too small, I can tell you that the padding is pretty minimal and really just there to hide nip-ons
- I really LOVE both the Sleep Set and the Romper, but the overall style of the Romper is simply more “me”
And although this has nothing to do with the products themselves, I really want to give knixwear a big shout out for using real women in its advertising. Women of all colours, shapes and sizes. It doesn’t go unnoticed.
The underwear is sized a bit small, in my opinion. I ordered larges in everything because according to the online fit guide, as a size 8-10 in pants, I should be a medium. Since I know how particular my fit needs to be — without a hint of bulge seeping out from the sides of my legs or around my hips or midsection — I sized up. Many of the styles are still just a bit tighter than I’d like. I don’t have any XLs with which to compare so I can’t say whether they’d feel too big or not.
The bra straps aren’t all the same. Some are wider than others, like the V-neck bra straps, which I like best. So when I put one on that’s on the thinner side, I feel myself wanting to change bras. This is not the end of the world (like, talk about #FirstWorldProblems already!) but it’s worth mentioning in case you have an absolute favourite strap but order a new bra in a different colour or something.
They don’t fit everyone perfectly. I had one friend who purchased an Evolution 8-in-1 bra because of me and she didn’t like the way it fit her body at all. Another friend says they aren’t supportive enough for her girls. This is the part where I remind you of the risk-free return policy…
I wanted to love the Boyshort and the Luxe Thong, and expected those to be my favourites, but I don’t find myself reaching for either among the other knixwear underwear I own. The boyshorts aren’t the right cut on me and fit nothing like my other boyshort faves from other brands, and the luxe fabric looks gorgeous but isn’t nearly as comfortable as the Athletic Thong.
Bras = 4.5/5
Loungewear = 4.5/5
Underwear = 4/5
WIN A KNIX WARDROBE!
I have personally curated this knix starter kit just for you. In it, you’ll get a romper, the bra of your choice and two pairs of underwear — to let your own personal obsession get off to a great start. Contest open to residents of Canada and the USA who are age of majority, and closes on Jan. 31/18 at 11:59 p.m.